Týn nad Vltavou is one of the oldest settlements in south Bohemia. The town is located on both banks of the Vltava River, near its confluence with the Lužnice River. The beginnings of Týn nad Vltavou date back to the first half of the 11th century, when the territory was owned by the Prague Diocese. A fortified residence was built for the diocese administrator and a settlement grew in its vicinity. In the first half of the 13th century, a castle was founded on the site of the original administrative residence. This castle was abandoned at the end of the 17th century, and today at its site we can see a Renaissance stone bridge, the castle moat and the remains of ramparts.
The first written accounts of the town dating to 1229 speak, among other things, of a wooden bridge, at the time the only one one the section of the Vltava between České Budějovice and Prague. Over the course of history, the town has also played an important role as transshipment point for salt from the Gmunden area. Two salt warehouses were built here, and salt was stored and sold. Both boats and rafts were used to transport salt and other goods. Týn nad Vltavou remained a rafting center until the early 20th century.